International Museum Day: Museum collections making connections
This year’s theme aims to promote the way museum’s contribute to the development of society through the use of shared memory, community and cultural heritage storytelling. It reflects the desire for museums to create links between visitors and the objects in collections, and rejuvenate an understanding of the traditional methods museums use to involve their communities and stay relevant.
Right across Queensland the MDOs are working with museum volunteers and collecting groups on projects that reflect this theme and the associated goals. Here a just a few of the inspiring projects that museums are working on in Far North Queensland:
- Cairns Historical Society are in the process of re imagining displays for Cairns Museum, and working with the community to ensure their relevance.
- Cairns and District Chinese Association (CADCAI) are preparing to undertake an oral history project to capture community memories of the Lit Sung Goong Temple.
- Gordonvale’s Mulgrave Settler’s Museum is planning a new community-based competition to boost it’s public standing.
- Menmuny Museum at Yarrabah is working to update and rejuvenate displays.
- Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council is hoping to undertake a significance assessment of its collections.
- Carpentaria Shire Council is working on the interpretation of significant heritage buildings along its main street.
- Cape York Heritage House in Coen and James Cook Museum in Cooktown are developing displays to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Queensland Police.
- Ravenshoe Visitor Information Centre is opening a new Ravenshoe Heritage Gallery to showcase the region’s photographic material culture.
- And regional councils, museums and historical societies in Cape York, Torres Strait, the Atherton Tablelands region and the reformed Mareeba Shire and Douglas Shires are planning a range of projects to commemorate the centenary of World War One.
Museums are a great industry and community to be involved in!
The theme for 2015 is: Museums for a sustainable society.